Sunday, July 17, 2005

Most Arab Americans are Christian

In my first post I mentioned that the majority of Arab Americans are Christian.

In fact, it might be more accurate to say that the vast majority of Arab Americans are Christian, because according to several sources, 75% of Arab Americans are Christian. Some say the percentage is a bit lower, but no one argues that Christians are not the majority religious group.

Question: Are you surprised to learn that the majority of Arab Americans are Christian (or did you already know)? Why do you think so may people don't know this? I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Sources/Additional Reading:
Wikipedia: Arab American
Arab American Institute
Detroit Free Press: 100 Questions and Answers About Arab Americans: A Journalist's Guide
Christianity Today: Lost in America
Christianity Today: Are Most Arab Americans Christian?
Columbia Graduate School of Journalism (Real Audio)

6 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

That is the first I've heard that statistic and I must say it is quite shocking to me. Not that it would matter if the stat was not accurate, but it is a completely different impression than most people have.

10:57 PM  
Blogger aladdin said...

Thanks, Chad. To be honest it was surprising to me too. I knew that Christians were a significant percentage of Arab Americans, but I didn't know until I started researching that they were a strong majority.

5:24 AM  
Blogger MomOf2 said...

I've met alot of Arab Americans here in the states during the past couple of years and only one of them was Christian. So I assumed the majority was Muslim.
That statistic is surprising

11:50 AM  
Blogger L.Austin Bernard said...

Not the first i've heard of it... but i came from a town in Illinois with a lot of Lebanesse.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous TC said...

I attend a Greek-Catholic Church where the majority of the people are Christians from the Middle East. Most are Arabs, some Iraqis, some Armenians...

It is true that during a big immigration of people from the Middle East, over 75% were Christians fleeing the crap from the "religion of peace".

10:35 AM  
Blogger Carl Larson said...

I don't buy it. I work with tons of Arabs, mainly palestinians, as I do a lot of Solidarity work at local schools. There are Christians, of course, but they are very much in the minority. Maybe Seattle is an anomoly? I don't think so. Where do you get your data?

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home